Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Three O' Clock In The Morning

there's no logical reason to think about this now
and yet, it seems appropriate somehow
that the memories come knocking without invitation
to bring some revelation
at three'o clock in the morning
while all else sleeps
harsh words play on repeat
with the bass set to boom
and my quiet room
suddenly is louder than I can take
years' worth of heartbreak pierce me time and again
and it hurts much worse
at three o' clock in the morning
I need to sleep
my subconscious disagrees
unpaid debts arrive on their knees
regret sits on my chest
so I can't breathe
too disoriented to cry
so I can't grieve because
it's three 'o clock in the morning
with my eyes closed
I see much more clearly than I want to
or even need to
I suppose that explains
why I get judged before the sun can
come defend me
and help to mend me
Ss now it's four o'clock
the moonlight dims and shows some mercy
says I can sleep now
I'm absolved of all my sins until
tomorrow
at three o'oclock in the morning

(Composed October 5, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment