Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sunny California


on planet California somedays the space
is painted in bright blue euphoria
you know what I mean
those conflower days only a dream could compose
even when it’s not so blue
when the sky is pale ‘cause the sun’s overworking
just like the rest of us
I start burning and I think its ok
I even brag about it
where the melancholy song of a lonely bird
is drowned out by plaintive horns
or laughter-either the real kind
slipping in and out the trees
or the artificial kind that those
pretty green leaves in my mojito bring
when I don’t know whether it’s the liquor or the haze
that intoxicates me more
those are the days that I forget
why I never could forget you
but show me one of those few
one of those two or four or twenty-four notorious
rainy days in California
those days the sun is wrapped too tight in dark gray cirrostratus
for me to hide from the truth
That bird stars to cry and it’s too quiet
For me not to cry too
on those days its your face that rises and sets in my mind
pure and simple and easy and lovely
too perfect for a sunny day
but April showers can get to be
too complex and pretentious
even for a drama queen like me
on days like this I see
how much I need you to
shine for me
bring your warmth to me
now that I know I think I’m forever changed
those shiny California days
may no longer be bright enough

(Composed April 8, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment